Sunday, October 7, 2012

Progress on next book - films v. books

I'm about a third of the way through the second book in The Awakening series.  The working title is The Unbelievers, but I'm also thinking about The Revelation.  Except the latter seems a little too biblical.  Which sounds strange considering I'm writing about young woman who became pregnant while still a virgin.  But the story itself -- and the series -- is not biblical.  Or even Christian, though I don't see it as anti-Christian.  One reviewer suggested I had a post-modernist view of religion.  I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds impressive. 

In the meantime, someone I knew in grade school contacted me through Facebook, asking if I had any short stories I thought would make a good film.  He's been studying filmmaking and has made some short films, and he was looking for something to make into a short film that could be submitted to film festivals.  I sent him a couple stories, and the one he really liked was The Tower Formerly Known as Sears.  He wrote a script which has a bit of a different slant than the story, which is all right.  I often think the best movies are ones that capture some of the spirit of the book but show the director and screenwriter's own visions.  Because a film is different from a story or book.  Character, theme, story, all are portrayed in a different way.  That's why I liked the movie The Dead Zone.  It's my favorite Stephen King book, and the movie departed from it significantly but kept the essense of the theme.  The mini-series It actually made me like the book better.  The book was a little too rambling for me, and the mini-series tied it together.  Now I've reread the book several times and enjoy it more.  (Also, the finale didn't seem quite as anti-climactic to me in the mini-series as it did -- and still does -- in the book.)

No comments:

Post a Comment